The best part of a blog post is the before and after picture.
So I’ll show them and then tell you the specifics.
Both “before” pictures are lousy, but you’ll get an idea of what the couch was like.
The details of the wooden frame:
-3 to 4 layers of chalk paint (we had a free quart of white paint and mixed it with plaster of Paris using this recipe from Lowe’s)
-a coat of paste finishing wax made by Minwax.
The details of the decorative cushions:
-Pottery Barn, feather-filled. I found them at Goodwill in great condition and it was easy to take off the covers and give them a good washing.
The details of the couch cushions:
-upholstery fabric from Joanne’s Fabric (I got a major discount because it was 50% off and then I had a teacher’s discount on top of it)
-since I’m not the greatest with a sewing machine and upholstery, I cheated when I covered the green cushions using this blog’s idea.
-a satisfying project
-the grey cushion covers can be taken off and washed
-didn’t have to buy a new couch
-the total cost was around $100
-the grey is neutral and so I can change the decorative cushions for a different look
-it was quite labour intensive (cushions around 9 hours, wood base about 6 hours)
-the grey covers aren’t perfect and I notice little mistakes
-the couch cannot be placed away from the wall due to the back of the cushions
-the chalk paint was a little difficult to get used to. Not sure if I’ll use that recipe again.
Well, that’s it, folks.
You will see more pics of it when I finish the room and take “beauty” shots of everything.